Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Experiencing belching, sharp pain under rib-cage. CT scan and ultrasound done. What is the problem?

Jan 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 1658 Questions
For over a week now I have been experienciening belching, sharp pain under the right side of my ribcage, horrible bloating (that has been the worst symptom my guts go crazy digesting food) and yellow/orange loose stool. I had a CT scan done and a ultrasound of my gallbladder which showed nothing. My blood test was normal expect my Lipease was slightly elevated. I have lost 10 pounds in a week and 2 days. I have tenderness under the right rib cage when pushed on. The doctor diagnosed me with gastroniteritis but I do not think that is what it is. Could it still be my gallbladder even though no stones were found?
Posted Sat, 28 Jul 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 59 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query.

1) Your doctor is right, you are most likely suffering from acute viral gastroenteritis. Presence of loose stool & excessive belching, abdominal bloating and pain indicates some sort of infection.

2) Kindly mention the type of abdominal pain. Presence of spasmodic abdominal pain suggest infection.

3) Although your lipase is raised but acute pancreatitis is diagnosed only when these levels are 3 times raised above the normal level. Pain in pancreatitis is increased after taking meals and not associated with excessive belching.

4) Yes, inflammation of gall bladder may occur in absence of stone and this is called as acalculous cholecystitis. This condition is more common in terminally ill patient and not associated with excessive belching and bloating.

5) You should avoid all milk & milk products (cheese, butter, yogurt).

6) You should take treatment for gastroenteritis.

Put your query if you have.

Best regards,

Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor