Experiencing anxiety attacks, pressure in head, dry mouth, weight loss and loss of appetite. What's wrong?

Dr. Sundar Gnanavel

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Mental Health
Question: I have been having these symptoms for several months.

Head pressure all over
Anxiety attacks
Cloudy urine
Muscle twitching
Lights and squiggly lines in vision
Tingling all over body
Ringing in ears
Bad taste in mouth
Occasional trouble swallowing
Dry mouth
Dry throat
Peeing less
Racing heart, pulse up to 120s
Decreased appetite
Weight loss
Foot and toenail fungus

I also have been feeling like I am about to have a seizure, but never actually do. I have never had a seizure in my life and have no previous diagnosis of a seizure disorder. Seizures do not run in the familly. I am very concerned that there may be something seriously wrong with me.,
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 12 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

Going through your symptoms, it appears that you may be suffering from an anxiety disorder known as "panic disorder" that is characterized by most of the above symptoms. It occurs as an episodic attack with resolution by itself. It is not a life threatening condition. Effective medication like SSRI group of drugs as well as psychotherapy (eg cognitive behavioral therapy) can be tried to resolve the disorder after psychiatric evaluation for anxiety disorders including panic disorder as well as depressive disorder with anxiety symptoms. We also need to rule out XXXXXXX i.e the phase prior to occurrence of seizures that can manifest with above symptoms even though there is no family history of seizure disorder. An EEG investigation might be useful.

Hope you found the information useful. Kindly ask for clarification if any other doubts you may have.

Dr Sundar
psychiatrist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Follow up: Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 33 hours later
Could the foot fungus have spread and caused a fungal infection?

I was prescribed Terbinafine 250mg once a day for toenail fungus. I am concerned about side effects, especially Lupus. What are the chances of developing Lupus while taking this medication?
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 15 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX .......
As you rightly mentioned terbenafine, an anti-fungal drug can induce lupus or exacerbate already existing lupus. The chances of the side-effect are < 2% that too predominantly in those with pre-existing lupus. However, it is highly unlikely that foot fungus has spread systemically. Hope you found the information useful.
Dr Sundar
Psychiatrist
Follow up: Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 30 minutes later
I must admit that I am a bit of a hypochondriac. So what that means is Terbinafine is not very likely to cause Lupus? What about any other adverse symptoms, such as cardiac or abdominal?
Hello XXXXXXX .....
There is nothing wrong in clarifying and being up to date with treatment you are under. Terbenafine does cause stomach upset, flatulence and nausea which are minor symptoms. It rarely causes increase in conduction time of heart( called elongated QT interval) which is indeed quite rare. Otherwise it is a safe antifungal medication to take. Hope you found the information useful.
Dr Sundar
Psychiatrist