Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

Experiencing adult ADHD, inability to collect thoughts, finish tasks. Medication for moderate ADHD recommended?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 78 Questions
Hi, I am inquiring about Adult ADHD/ADD. I'm a 28 yr old male. I've looked up symptoms and believe I do experience many of them. For example I find it difficult to collect my thoughts and/or finish tasks. I don't believe my case is as bad as some but I do believe it prevents me from reaching my full potential in a professional environment. What are the benefits of medications as well as the cons? Is medication usually prescribed for mild/moderate ADHD?
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in ADHD
Answered by Dr. Gowri Kulkarni 3 hours later

ADD/ADHD in adults is seen with the following symptoms:
1. Trouble concentrating and staying focused
2. Disorganization and forgetfulness
3. Impulsivity
4. Emotional difficulties
5. Hyperactivity or restlessness

Untreated ADD/ADHD can lead to physical problems like compulsive eating (obesity), substance abuse, chronic stress, tensions, anxiety and depression. It can lead to difficulty in career growth and a feeling of underachievement. It can cause strain in relationships as well.

Coming to your query, I gather that you have difficulty in collecting your thoughts and/or finish tasks. I would like to know how long has this been? Do you have any other symptoms that I have mentioned above? Are you going through a stressful period in your life?

Medications can be prescribed and would be of use only if the disorder has been diagnosed in an individual. My suggestion would be for you to seek help from a Psychiatrist who would first help in diagnosis and then in treatment of the condition.

Besides medications psychotherapy has a definite role to play in the management of ADD/ADHD.

Please seek the help of your Psychiatrist for the same.

Hope I have answered your queries. Do reach out to me if you have any more questions.


Dr Gowri
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Child Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor