Experiencing acute pain in stomach. What is the treatment?

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Tue, 26 Nov 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I am experiencing acute pain in the lower left hand side in the stomach area which is bulging out. It came about 4 hours ago but and not given pain for some time but the bulge is still there. I feel it may come back. Can you help please.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hernia probably... Detailed Answer: Hi, Acute onset pain associated with bulging (mass) is consistent with features of hernia. As in your case, the bulge causes pain only when it gets obstructed. I consider this as an emergency situation. You need to visit hospital / emergency centre at the earliest and consult a surgeon there. An emergency ultrasound scan performed after physical examination will confirm whether or not you need to be operated or can the situation be handled with medication. I do not intend to cause a panic; however the situation shouldn't be neglected. Please visit an emergency centre at the earliest. Good luck!! Regards