Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Experiencing abdominal pain and nausea. Is this related to menstrual cycle?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 828 Questions
My daughter who is 13 is experiencing on and off bouts of adominal pain (on both sides) and nauseau. This seems to start with her getting her period where it seems like the neaseau would happen on the same day of the month. Now it seems like she is getting more bouts of nauseau and now is having adominal pain as well. She seems to be perfectly fine when she is not having this, but seems to come and go alot. She doesn't have a fever either.
I am not sure if this is related to her mesturation cycle or not.

Posted Tue, 5 Mar 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 3 hours later
Thanks for the query.

Pain during periods with nausea is called dysmenorrea.
This is a very common problem seen in teenage girls caused due hormonal imbalance in the body.
Infact ,pain during menstruation suggest ovulatory cycles and there is nothing to worry about it.

She needs mefanemic acid .
Please take Gynecologist advice for the same.
You can write to me for further details.

Dr Nilofer

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Experiencing abdominal pain and nausea. Is this related to menstrual cycle? 10 hours later
Dr. Nilofer

Maybe I am asking my question wrong. My daughter now seems to be getting this pain (lower abdomen, both sides) more often now and NOT on certain days of her cycle. It seems to be happening more often.

Can what you describe happen on ANY day of her cycle?

Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 46 minutes later
Thanks for the clarification.

Symptoms of lower abdominal(both sides) with nausea could be due due low grade sometimes present without fever.

I recommend you to:
1. Get a urine microscopy and culture.
2. Ultrasound abdomen to look for kidney ,ureter and bladder(cystitis).
3. Drink lot of water.

Hope i have answered your query. You may write to me anytime for further clarifications.

Dr Nilofer
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor