Experiencing abdominal pain. Found long stringy object in stool. Could this be an intestinal parasite?

Dr. G.Srinivasan

Urologist

Posted on Mon, 4 Feb 2013 in Infections
Question: hello, i just found a long stringy object in my stool? about 6 inches long, and thin and flat. never seen anything like this before. Have been experiencing abdominal pain for months the was believed to be the result of diverticulosis, which i also have. could this be an intestinal parasite? what treatment should i seek?
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 2 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
Your diagnosis is correct.
It is most probably intestinal parasite, which i thought was uncommon in the developed countries.
It is better to check if you have problems that suppress immunity like diabetes etc.
Stool test is needed to look for OVA/CYST.
One to three day course of ANTI-HELMINTH medicines should do the trick.
Best regards
DR GS