Experiencing a sharp pain in lower abdomen. Tested negative for UTI. What could be the problem?

Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib

Posted on Mon, 24 Dec 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Been experiencing a sharp pain in my lower abdomen that shoots through to the back of the rectum area or vice versa for the past week now. At first, doctor thought it was UTI, but test came back negative. Went to an OBGYN for ultrasound and pelvic exam and everything was clear and normal. I have no other symptoms. No pain, no fever, no stiffness, no recent injuries. In desperate need of relief and answers.

This is the second time I've experienced this in a month. First time, I was told I had UTI, and the pain went away after a few days of being on antibiotics.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 3 hours later
Hi
Thanks for the query

The type of pain and the area you have described are most commonly due to genital tracts like uterus or ovaries or due large intestine including sigmoid colon and rectum.

Such infections are difficult to diagnose on clinical basis and requires radiological and laboratory tests. A transvaginal ultrasound will help to rule out the genital disease if any and stool R/E will be helpful in finding of intestinal diseases. Drugs like ibobrufen and mefnamic acid are very much effects against such pains.

If you still have some query, feel free to ask.

Thanks

Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 7 minutes later
Yes, I've had most of these tests done - ultrasound of uterus and ovaries, urine tests (3 times), pelvic exam. Before the urine tests came back, two different doctors put me on antibiotics. I took each kind for a week, but still the pain persists. I have also been taking ibuprofen for a week now, and the pain still persists. Another doctor today prescribed arcoxia (120mg) and though the pain has lessened, it's still persists. Can it be anything else besides an infection?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 17 minutes later
Hi
Thanks for the reply

Sure the pain can be due to causes other than infections than can be inflammatory or due to pressure on nerves due to some mass but that findings are easily detected on the tests you have already done. One thing that can be the reason might be the lumbar spine compression which causes pain through nerve distribution.

If you donot respond to any of the pain killers then i will suggest the use of carbamazepine however use of antibiotics without any infectious evidence is not recommend. Try to avoid use of unecessary antibiotics.

If you are having improvement with the drugs that your doctor have prescribed then i will suggest you to continue the treatment.

Thanks