Owl Image

Experiencing a severe loss of appetite. Have low vitamin D levels. What should I do?

Neurologist
Question
I am experiencing a severe loss of appetite. I will feel like I am starving, but then I will take three-four bites of food and feel like I cannot eat anymore. I feel like I am unable to tolerate food at this time, and the thought of eating more food makes me feel like I want to vomit. I sometimes end up dry heaving, and I feel like I have terrible breath, even though I brush my teeth whenever I wake up from sleeping and after eating. I have a loss of energy, and I am having trouble sleeping, which makes my energy levels even worse. I sometimes wake up several times in the middle of the night. (My ferritin and vitamin D levels are low. I am unable to tolerate iron pills orally, so I have had iron infusions). I am not sexually active, so I am quite certain that I am not pregnant or anything.
Fri, 21 Dec 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 27 minutes later

You need to get evaluated by a doctor for general assessment including some of the tests like hemoglobin, thyroid function tests, liver function tests etc. It may occur if some imbalances occur in these tests.

If nothing comes up on these tests, then you may need a psychiatry consultation. Most of the symptoms that you mentioned can be seen in a patient with depression. If depression is diagnosed, psychiatrist will decide about the medications required for treatment.

Hope I have answered your queries. If you have more queries, I will be happy to answer.

Good luck.