Owl Image

Experienced unconsciousness. Brain CT scan done. What does the finding suggest?

Neurologist
Question
My father is admitted to XXXXXXX nursing home (Dahisar) for being unconcies, Plain Brain CT report as below.

Plain CT Brain & Extended Diffussion Weighted MRI Study
Protocol:
Ultrafast multislice multiplanar plain CT scan of brain was performed. MRI was performed using single shot EPI sequences
Observations:
Multiple patchy areas of restricted diffusion are seen in the bilateral parafalcine frontal,caudate nucleus and right perisylvian, parietal region.
Bilateral periventricular white matter hypo densities are seen.
Rest of the supra and infratentorial parenchyma are unremarkable.
The Ventricles. Sulci and cisterns appear normal.
No midline shift is seen.
Visualized skull base appear normal.
Conclusion:
Findings are suggestive of fresh (Subacute) nonhaemorrhagic infarcts in the bilateral parafalcine frontal, caudate nucleus and right perisylvian, pariental region.
Bilateral periventricular white matter ischaemia.
Fri, 18 Jan 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 25 hours later
Dear Mr XXXXXXX

I have seen the report sent by you. However, with MRI report it is difficult to identify the cause of unconsciousness in your father. It will require a good clinical history and examination by your physician / neurologist. Based on this few blood tests and other tests will be done. Routinely we do complete blood counts, sugar, renal and liver function test and electrolytes (sodium, potassium, chloride etc.)

Please send more details about clinical history and investigation results to suggest you likely cause.

Awaiting your response.

Pratap