Experienced symptoms of Holiday Heart after a night of excessive

Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist

Posted on Sun, 3 Mar 2019 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Experienced symptoms of Holiday Heart after a night of excessive binge drinking. The only symptom I had was irregular heartbeat, I did not have any other symptoms associated with said condition and felt perfectly fine otherwise. However, the irregular heartbeat has hit me on and off throughout the week a few days after. When I went to the ER they told me if I have no other symptoms it should go away and I do not need treatment. Should I go back to ER or just wait it out and avoid alcohol? Basically feel perfectly fine but just have had occasional irregular heartbeats throughout the week following...
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please refer to the detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hello

After going through the medical details provided by you I can understand your concern for your health and I would like to tell you that presently if you don’t have any symptoms of giddiness or lightheadedness or sense of fainting or heaviness in the chest then there is no need to visit ER and you can wait for a few more days till the symptoms subside.

Extra beats or ventricular topics are commonly encountered in individuals after binge drinking. Until unless you experience any of the above mentioned symptoms and there is no need to panic and just wait.

During this period it’s highly advisable that you should completely avoid alcohol and other caffeine containing drinks And drink plenty of water so as to flush your system.

I hope this information will answer your query and relieve your worries.

Kind regards
Dr Bhanu Partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hello again

Detailed Answer:
Don’t worry, wait for a week and even after that if it persist then it’s advisable that you should get an echocardiogram and a HOLTER monitoring done.

Holter will help evaluate if any transient rhythm abnormality if happening.

Hope to have been helpful.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Bhanu Partap 2 minutes later
Ok. The only reason I had concern is that I was told that it should go away within 24 hours but the irregular beats have periodically shown up throughout the week and it has been about 7 days now. Although I have noticed they are not as strong as the first few days when it first started happening and again I have no other symptoms it is just kind of bothersome