Experienced concussion after accident and noticed change in behavior. Could it be seizure?

Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal

Pediatrician

Posted on Wed, 16 Jan 2013 in Head Injuries
Question: My daughter who is 14 was in a car accident and experienced a concussion. No scalp fracture but hit her head on the window (no laserations) and then the front of her head on the driver's shoulder. It was a t-bone crash. It was on 10-22 and she was in the hospital for 3 days. She went back to high school on 10-31 and has worked very hard to get her grades back up and just finished finals. My concern is that her brother and I have both noticed that she is very irritable, yells more than before and spaces out to the point that you have to repeat yourself a few times before she responds. She told me last night that she hears me but does not feel impelled to answer. Could this be a XXXXXXX seizure / add or anything or should I chalk it up to preteen symptoms?
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 5 hours later

Thank you for your query.

Following head injury it is not uncommon to note behavioural changes in a person. The observations are not related to XXXXXXX seizure but can be adolescent issues. It is advisable to consult the treating doctor and handle the situation delicately. On the advice of the doctor the help of the school counsellor can be taken.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts of the case.

Wishing your daughter all the best.

RKK