Excruciating itchiness in what seems a body-wide bloom. when scratched

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014

Dermatologist
Question
Excruciating itchiness in what seems a body-wide bloom. when scratched lightly raised light spots irregularly shaped surrounded by reddened skin. Affected areas are continuous- wrapping around sides of torso from front to back especially in folding areas, (not isolated spots). The symptoms grew in amount of places over past couple days. At first I thought they were spider bites, but they are not. Softer skin areas more affected. Also internal discomfort in urinary tract and a feeling of tightness or lack of freedom in lungs as well as light-headedness. A lighter case of this occurred in me previous summer, when I thought it was insect bites and first poison ivy contact. I halted it then with watered down bleach in spray bottle over couple of days. It is frozen here now (no ivy or insects!) and this case much worse. My living and working environment are also different. Again rash is body-wide on soft skin. I have used a tube of cortisone 1% over past 12 hrs. this has helped a little. I have never had this occur until these two times over past 8 months. I moved to MO, 2 years ago (new environment). Please advise... Iwas thinking of spraying areas with watered down cetyl or isobropyl alcohol. I need relief quickly. I also work in high activity atmosphere (lots of motion)
Sun, 11 Feb 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hives. Oral antihistamine e.g Cetrizine or Loratadine

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.

Perhaps you have Acute Urticaria /Hives.
I suggest you to take an oral antihistamine e.g either Cetrizine 10mg tab once a day or tab. Loratadine10mg (Claritin tab) once a day for a few days. In addition I suggest you to apply a soothing lotion e.g Calamine lotion.