Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
190 Doctors are Online

Excessive weight gain. Had a foot surgery. High fasting glucose level. Can I control sugar levels without medication?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1980
Answered : 1 Question
Hi- I am 35 years old. I have gained 40 pounds in the past 2 years, making me 190. I had a botched foot surgery that has left me unable to exercise much the last 2 years. I got a fasting glucose number of 200. I refuse to accept a diabetes diagnosis. I have started eating right & found a way to get in my exercise. Could my number go down in a months time???
Posted Fri, 22 Jun 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 11 hours later
Definitely your blood glucose values can get down towards normal. Wieght management and diet are very important in this regard. Once your blood glucose levels come down the most importantant thing is maintaining them in normal range by continuing diet and life style modification. It is right time that you check your lipid profile, thyroid tests, urine examination and ECG just to ensure nothing abnormal with them. You must also check glycated hemoglobin to assess glycemic levels.
It would be nice if you can consult an endocrinologist and nutritionist. You need to discuss with your Endo in detail the need for medications at this stage and if they are required the pros and cons of available options. You should make a conscious and focused approach to get your weight down - that will take care of many problems.
Hope to see you in good health,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Endocrinologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor