Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
121 Doctors are Online

Excessive tanning due to sun exposure. Suggest the treatment to reduce tanning

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 988 Questions
I spend about 7-8hrs on weekends under sun playing cricket. I am getting excessive tanning due to exposure in sun. I tried some common sun screen lotion available in cosmetics store but hasnt helped. Can you please recommend something to reduce the tanning.
Posted Fri, 22 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Use broad band sunscreens daily three times. Detailed Answer: Hi! XXXX, Thank you for posting your query, I understand you problem.Tanning of skin takes place usually 2-3 days after excess sun exposure. You should use a broad band medicated sunscreen like UVAVO ,UV 34 PLUS or SUNBLOCK 50 PLUS .This should be used at-least three times daily (i.e. every three hours).You have to understand that sunscreen once applied on face stays only for 3 hours on skin and then weans off.So it should be used every three hours full face & arms if that too is exposed .Use a sunscreen half an hour before you step out in the sun. Also look for a what SPF a sunscreen has .SPF stands for sun protecting factor.Higher the SPF better the sun protection .Usually for Indian skin a SPF of 20 plus is good enough.You should also understand that cosmetic sunscreen doesn't work good ,it has to be a medicated sunscreen .You can get the above said sunscreens from a chemist shop .UV 34 PLUS works like a physical sunscreen and is best to use if you are under direct sun for long hours. A sunscreen can only prevent further tanning,but gradually tanning goes off by itself in a month or two .If tanning has already occurred & you want to get rid off it soon , then you can go for procedures like chemical peel or microdermabrassion to reduce it.You can get these procedures done from a qualified dermatologist . Also use a wide brimmed hat and sunglasses to protect your skin further.Full sleeves shirt should be used to protect your arms from sun exposure. Hope I've answered your query. Should you have additional concern regarding the same ,I would be happy to address it. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries. Regards, Dr.Bharat chawda XXXXXXX specialist, Dermatology.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor