Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online
Ask a Dentist   »  

Excessive saliva, problems with speech, no pain, sometimes tired when I should not be

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
I have excessive saliva (though it seems this is called "dry mouth" and some problem with speech. I have no pains and I feel good except maybe a little tired when I should not be.
Posted Sat, 21 Jul 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 4 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
As we age, there are many aspects of our health that must be attended to more closely than other. One such common health complication develops with age, known as sialorrhea or an over production of saliva.
While some excessive saliva production is common with age, as the facial muscles and nerves begin to degenerate, if that production of excessive saliva continues, there may be complications involving infection and skin irritation,bad breath, speech impairment .
In your case you might have a facial neurological impairment as a result of which the excess saliva and speech disturbance can occur.
It's best to consult your physician for confirmation of the diagnosis .
As for symptomatic relief your physician may recommend the use of prescription medications ( like glycopyrrolate) designed to slow the impact and production of the salivary glands. However, with a significant number of side effects, these prescriptions medications are becoming less popular.
The next option is to consider speech or occupational therapy as a way in which to improve your facial muscle strength and function. In addition to speech and occupational therapy, a visit with a dentist or orthodontist may provide some insight into corrections with malocclusion that can be considered as part of your care. For many patients , the use of orthodontic appliances is quite effective at alleviating the complications of sialorrhea.
So it's best to first get a thorough evaluation by your physician who can confirm the diagnosis and plan management accordingly.He can also make appropriate referrals as mentioned above , if need arises.
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dentist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor