Eustachian tube dysfunction, ear virus, sick on planes, scopolamine, meclizine, motion sickness
Thank You for your query.
1. Oral low dose scopolamine, an hour before travel, is the best option for you as your flights are of short duration.
2. The scopolamine patch has erratic absorption compared to an oral dose. Patches need to be used several hours before travel. They are useful for extended travel lasting a day or longer.
3. Meclizine and Promethazine are also time tested. These have stronger central effects as they cause more drowsiness, dry mouth, blurring of vision, urinary retention and other anticholinergic effects. At your age, there should be no problem.
4. In contrast, scopolamine has lesser central effects, so it's efficacy in a damaged vestibular system is debatable. However it will effectively suppress the vestibular system.
5. Motion sickness is vehicle specific, like airsickness in your case. Therefore there is a role for supportive measures such as travelling in the center of the plane nearer the central gravity where pitch, roll and yaw movements are the least. Request such a seating arrangement. Take a nap or close your eyes. This reduces the vision to ear input mismatch. Avoid looking out, and if you do, look towards the horizon.
6. If you have a couple of days, try out a tablet each of both oral scoplamine and meclizine on successive days in advance to check for adverse effects.
7. Penicillin allergy is not a problem. How long have you been taking your current medication?
8. Now, 25 years later, getting an Impedance Audiogram (I/A) will easily reveal whether it is Eustachian Tube Dysfunction or Motion Sickness. There are also many tests now available to evaluate the vestibular system.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Eustachian tube dysfunction whooshing
- Eustachian tube dysfunction bulimia
- Eustachian tube dysfunction ear pain
- Eustachian tube dysfunction and heartbeat in ears
- Onion eustachian tube dysfunction
- Celexa eustachian tube dysfunction
- Eustachian tube dysfunction yoga
- Eustachian tube dysfunction catarrh
- Eustachian tube dysfunction and motion sickness
- Eustachian tube dysfunction and unbalanced
- Can an energy drink prior to blood test increase RBC levels ?
- Unstable,unable to walk independently and properly,on Vertinal and...
- Flu symptoms,throat and roof of mouth sore,coughed bright red blood,any...
- Tingling sensation along right side face,3-4 times daily,sensation when...
- Pain,stiffness,swelling in knees,X-ray,arthritis developing,knee...
- Amoebriz dosage for adults and children
- Eustachian tube dysfunction, ear virus, sick on planes, scopolamine,...
- Pea sized nodule in tongue, painful, affecting speech, tooth pain, jaw...
- What causes jawline lumps?
- Double bypass, respiratory failure, nose bleeds, selective embolization