Esophageal spasm, chest pain, diarrhea. Can I take Benadryl? Is it an allergic response?
Please advise? Thank you
Thanks for the query.
Esophageal motility disorders are of two types - Hypo & Hyper (spastic).
Further spastic esophgeal diseases are of different types like -
Diffuse esophageal spasm,
Nutcracker esophagus and
Nonspecific motility disorders.
Differentiation is done through motility studies.
Nitroglycerin and calcium channel blokers like nifidepine help, but some times you may have to get botox injections.
Motility problems are often precipitated by emoyional stresses, cold food or an hurried meal. Hence avoiding these may help.
Severe reflux disease itself may cause motility problems and treating it helps.
Diarrhoea doesnot occur with esophageal motility disorder and needs a work up to define it's cause.
Consult your GI so that he could help you find the type of spastic disease and suggest you an appropriate treatment.
Hope I have answered all your queries. Please write back if you have further queries.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Chest pain muscle spasm
- Esophageal spasm chest pain
- Experiencing vomiting diarrhea and chest pain remedy
- Can flu diarrhea chest pain and belching refer to disfasia
- Have chest pain and diarrhea due to alcohol and smoke
- Stomach cramps diarrhea fever chest pain when breathing help
- Diarrhea nausea chest pain cramps
- Diarrhea abdominal pain chest pain and fever suggestions
- Noticed sharp chest pains nausea and diarrhea
- Chest pain and diarrhea