Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
165 Doctors are Online

Erectile dysfunction, premature ejaculation. Physical or mental problem?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 47 Questions
I need to discuss regarding issues like erectile dysfunction and PE. Could you please direct me to the best doctor in PUne? Can discuss in person with the doctor.
Is PE a physical problem or related to the mind? are there harmless ways to improve performance ?
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Premature Ejaculation
Answered by Dr. Abhijeet Deshmukh, 1 hour later

In most cases, PE is related to the mind and there is no underlying physical problem. Premature Ejaculation is mostly associated with anxiety. There are many factors which are involved in the causation. First of all, the duration of sexual intercourse before ejaculation occurs differs in individuals. By definition, premature ejaculation is the occurrence of ejaculation before both the partners want it. For a man who ejaculates after 5 minutes, it won't be a problem if his partner reaches orgasm in 3 minutes. But it would be seen as premature ejaculation if his partner takes 10 minutes to reach orgasm, thus feeling unsatisfied.

Some people feel that they have PE since the beginning of their sexual life. This can happen due to how the sexuality develops in them. Most of the times, in our society, knowledge about sexual matters comes with a lot of curiosity and masturbation is common. Masturbation is usually a hurried up process, for the fear of getting caught by others. And this may form a basis for PE. There are other factors that contribute to PE such as the technique of intercourse, breathing pattern during and before intercourse, etc.

Premature Ejaculation can certainly be treated with natural ways and these are harmless. It might take time, but with persistence you can see the change.

You can certainly discuss more details with a doctor in your city. You would have to consult a Psychiatrist or a Sex Therapist for this purpose. Please make sure the doctor you choose is a medically trained Sex Therapist. To avoid any confusion, you can visit any Psychiatrist. We may not be able to provide you with any contacts or names, but I am sure you can find a good doctor once you know that you have to consult a Psychiatrist.

If you wish to ask any more information about your problem, you can ask here. It might help you until you consult the doctor in person.

Take care.

Abhijeet Deshmukh, MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor