Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
160 Doctors are Online

Erectile dysfunction, low testosterone levels. Advised to try androgel. Second opinion?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10454 Questions
i ama 50 yr old male with all of the symptoms of low testosterone levels (very little libido, some erectile dysfunction- viagra helps-, low energy, foggy headed), however my blood shows:
t4, freeL: 1.16
testosterone total: 481
TSH, highly sensitive : 0.33

my gp and i are debating about my going on a short trial of androgel. i want it, he isnt sure if it makes a difference. thoughts?
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Men Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query.

According to your age you are having slightly decreased testosterone levels. Normal levels should be near 600ng/dl.

Since you are having symptoms of testosterone deficiency also there is no problem in giving androgel a try. It is likely to help with your symptoms.

But it is advisable to use this drug only after a doctor’s prescription. It is not to be taken without a medical supervision. Your doctor may decide that the benefits outweigh the risks in individual circumstances and after a careful assessment of your specific health situation can prescribe this drug.

I hope this answers your query effectively.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Erectile dysfunction, low testosterone levels. Advised to try androgel. Second opinion? 1 hour later
Thank you. How lond would I be on the Androgel before I were to see a difference in my libido, etc? Thank you again
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 17 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.

Though there is no fixed time for the improvement but you should be able to see the difference in two weeks time.

Hope my answer is helpful.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor