Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

Epididymal tail calcification, azoospermia, blockage of reproductive tract

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 299 Questions
in notes from my doctor it says that I have epididymal tail calcification. What does this mean and are there any cures for this? The reason why I got checked up was because I have azoospermia. Could this be the cause?
Wed, 16 May 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 15 hours later

Thanks for your query.

On reading your question, I would want to elaborate on a few terms:

Epididymal tail calcification: Epididymis is an integral part of the male reproductive system,it is a narrow, tightly coiled tube connecting the ducts from testicles( where sperms are produced) to the vas deferens(transport sperms from the epididymis in anticipation of an ejaculation).

Epididymis being very important here, as it stores the sperms produced in testes and make them active and help in gaining maturity.Epididymis has the following parts, a head, body and the tail, all the three parts being integral in the whole process of fertility.

Epididymal tail calcification indicates that there is a pathology in the epididymis , calcifications mean the hardening of tissues and fibrosis reasons being mulitple. The causes for this are infections like TB, filariasis, cysts, renal/kidney diseases and inflammatory conditions.

Calcifications in the epididymis is associated very often with AZOOSPERMIA, a condition where the sperm count is zero. I would be able to co relate that the calcifications may be a cause for the azoospermia ,obstruction due to calcifications can lead to blockage in the reproductive tract which includes the epididymis as well.

We need to find out further, if there is any infection or inflammation,or any other cause in you that has lead to the calcifications and then treat the same to relieve the obstruction,cure the underlying infection, else one may need a surgical intervention for the same. The method of treatment will be decided by the doctor examining you and also depends on the cause for the calcifications.

I hope I answered your questions. I am available for follow up queries as well.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Infertility Spclst

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor