Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
194 Doctors are Online

Entrococci in semen and having mild burning sensation. Any infectious disease?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 1995
Answered : 529 Questions
I was tested to have entrococci in semen , the doctor gave levofloxain 500 for 6 weeks. Now, I have been taking it for more than 25 days but with no improvement . I still have a mild burning sensation . My symptoms are feeling burning after some time of ejaculation and continues so but gradually become mild but in few days, especially after the doctor gave me omnic ocas 0.4 besides levofloxacin 500 mg once a day . By the way the result of my semen culture was as follows : pus 18-20/HPF RBC 1-2 /HPF
Growth of entrococcus . Sensitive to Vancomycin , Gentamicin 200, Ciprofloxacin, Levofloxacin . This culture was for semen . I have no other symptoms. Only burning feeling most of the time. My urine culture was negative. PSA was normal. CT scan and ultra sound was also normal.Please note that when I am urinating , there is no burning but mild burning later afterwards. Sometime I have some sort of pain on top of penis . I would like to ask, how I got infected with sort of infection ? Is it an STD? Besides, I would like to ask if it an infectious disease ? Would it be transmitted to my partner in any way ?

What is your opinion and advice.
Sat, 29 Dec 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 21 minutes later
Semen cultures are notoriously inaccurate, and do not always reveal the culprit micro-organism, as the semen travels through the urethra where it could have picked up some other bacterium.
Levofloxacin is not a bad choice, and usually is a commonly prescribed drug for similar infections. It needs to be given for fairly long time for optimal effect, maybe for more than 8 weeks in fact. Doxycycline also could be useful
In the meantime, if you find that you still have burning in urethral passage after you void, you might get relief from mild urinary alkalinization with citrate solution. Also, some drugs called alpha-blockers also could be of help in voiding urine with less discomfort. You will however need a prescription from a doctor to be able to use them.
I doubt if the infection you have received is sexually transmitted. I consider it unlikely from the information you have given. You can use protection with condoms if you are concerned about transmission of infection to your partner.
Hope I have been able to help you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Entrococci in semen and having mild burning sensation. Any infectious disease? 15 minutes later
Hi doctor ,
Is it possible to take another antibiotic such as doxycycline or ofloxacin or ciproflexin besides levofloxain 500mg . If so, what you recommend , and what would be the dose and for how long ? Remember that I have been taking levofloxain for 25 days up to now . Awaiting your reply ASAP. I have uploaded my semen culture results. Hope you would help me . I am worried about my case .
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 10 hours later
I think you should continue with your use of Levofloxacin at the present dosage. It almost works as well as Ciprofloxacin or Ofloxacin, and having started it, there is no need to discontinue it just yet. As I said, quite often we need to give treatment for almost 8-12 weeks.
I do understand that you are worried about your problem. You should realize that you have already placed your case in the hands of a reasonably competent urologist who seems to have started you on the usual kind of treatment this requires.
Your anxiety is only going to worsen things further - you will be paying attention to symptoms which under other circumstances you would have ignored, and not been troubled.
Take plenty of oral fluids, and as I mentioned earlier, you can try requesting your urologist to see if he thinks you will benefit from the use of citrate syrup, an alpha-blockers. I have seen the report of urine examination which you have uploaded, and there seems no major issue there.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Entrococci in semen and having mild burning sensation. Any infectious disease? 1 hour later
I do thank you very very much . You have been so helpful. Thanks again. Wish you all the best.
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 9 hours later
Glad to have been of help.
You are welcome.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor