Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Enthesopathy in the hip. Pain and grinding sensation on the hip. Is the damage permanent?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10278 Questions
I developed enthesopathy in my right hip (at the trochanter) in early 2011 from over-use. Even though I've restricted how long and how fast I've walked since then, I still feel a grinding sensation (or hip pain) in my hip if I walk more than 2 miles - even if I take breaks and don't walk it all without stopping. What can I do to take care of this? Will it heal, or is the damage permanent? Is it degenerative?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
The grinding sensation in your hip is due to the inflammatory changes in the capsule. It is not a degenerative hip disease. In case there is no pain then local steroid injections or supplements like glucosamine sulfate or chondroitin sulphate will help in reducing the feeling.
Providing adequate rest to the hip joint is equally essential.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Enthesopathy in the hip. Pain and grinding sensation on the hip. Is the damage permanent? 10 hours later
What would be adequate rest be? I've only been doing more walking over the last 2-3 months, and limiting how fast and far I walk since then.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Adequate rest means that you need to limit the distance you walk till the pain subsides completely. In case there is no pain or local swelling then you can continue walking at a slower pace until there is no pain.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor