Endoscopy report says swelling and fluid secretion. Chances of cancer?

Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani

Posted on Thu, 3 Jan 2013 in Cancer
Question: Hi sorry to bother you, I had an endoscopy yesterday as have been having sere stomach pains for a while now, anyway they had to do a biopsy, as they said there was fluid and also inflammation, I think they said in the stomach lining, but when the nurse was putting my details on the sample, she looked at the doctor and said XXXXXXX its looking like a 2 XXXXXXX can you please tell me what this means,I know obviously they are checking for cancer, and your response wont upset me, as I have already lost both my mum and husband in april to cancer, so nothing much is going to bother me, I just want a truthful response. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query and sharing your concern.

It is a normal protocol to take a biopsy when ever any endoscopy is performed for any reason.

It does not mean in any way that they are suspecting cancer.

Yes, your doctor who has done endoscopy can definitely have a clue about the clinical condition, but just by watching specimen of biopsy by naked eye one can not comment on the diseases.

I think what you have over heard does not carry much importance.

Please do not get disturbed and wait for the biopsy report to come. After that your doctor will discuss with you.

Family history of cancer in first degree relative does increase your risk but it does not mean that you will have it for sure.

Presence of other complaints and your life style also plays an important role.

I hope this helps and clarify your concern.

Wishing you great health.

Dr.Pragnesh