Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Elevated levels of sugar and cholesterol. Not on medication. How to normalize the levels?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1978
Answered : 6714 Questions
my fasting blood sugar is 121 and PPBS after 2hr of breakfast is 111mg/dl. Is it ok or how to reduce FBS to normal level i am aged 47 male my weight is 64kg and height is 164.5 cm. Since last nov 2011( my weight at nov 2011 is 70 kg) i am doing walking started with 3km , now last 3 months walking 10.5km in 1.5hrs. all 7 days.

since last 2007, my ldl,hdl is also more or less in the same range. but till today not under medication. by as i told you, i have changed my life style and diet. since last 5 months.
Posted Tue, 29 May 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query.
It is good that you have adopted healthy lifestyle and taking proper diet and doing good amount of regular exercises.
However there are two issues with you which needs to be tackled.
1st. Your fasting sugar levels are little high and should be brought down below at least 100 ,although ideal figure would be below 80.
You may add medicines like metformin or acarbose in consultation with your doctor.
2nd. Your levels of LDL and total cholesterol are getting high inspite of your exercises and inspite of triglycerides becoming normal.Also your HDL levels are low and same in all three reports.
It clearly indicates that your cholesterol levels are not going to come down with diet and exercises only.
You have to take drugs like STATINS to control them.
The pathophysiological features leading to type 2 diabetes and diabetic dyslipidemia are interwoven.
Type 2 diabetic patients have 2 to 4 fold higher Chances of developing coronary artery disease and cerebro vascular disease as compared to non diabetics.
The higher prevalence is seen even in those patients who achieve persistent tight blood glucose control.
It is believed that co existing dyslipidemia significantly contributes to higher prevalence of macro vascular disease and thus needs to be aggressively managed along with hyperglycemia and hypertension,if present.
Continue your exercises and diet control and consult a diabetologist and start taking STATINS and anti diabetics like metformin or acarbose.
Targets for LDL are below 80 and for total cholesterol around 150.
I have explained you in detail however if you wish you can ask for any other query.
Thanks and best of luck.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Elevated levels of sugar and cholesterol. Not on medication. How to normalize the levels? 1 hour later
Thanks Dr. Becouse of my reqular exercises after a 5 months time my PPBS,Tryglycerides comes to normal. Snice last 5 years my tryglyceridess are above 200 and some time it touched 300 also. My question is now Tryglycerides is normal after a regular exercise consistantly will it reduce LDL and increase HDL is there is any link between these three. I am planning my weight to 60kg ,i will have a targeted to reduce 4 kgs in the period of next 5 months. Can i wait and start medication. Please let me know Dr.

Thanks and regards
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 22 minutes later
You have to take medication as inspite of regular exercises and diet control,your cholesterol levels have increased.
You should not wait and start anti cholesterol medicines.
In the mean time carry on your exercises as they are equally important in you and will play a significant role for current and future benefit.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Elevated levels of sugar and cholesterol. Not on medication. How to normalize the levels? 18 hours later
Thanks Dr for your advice. I will do accordingly. I will XXXXXXX my diabetologist and follow the cholesterol medicines.

Thanks and regards.

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 4 hours later
Best of luck.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Diabetologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor