Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
166 Doctors are Online

Elevated levels of ALT and protein in urine. Should I be concerned about the levels and are the cholesterol readings in range?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1978
Answered : 6714 Questions
I am a 44 yr. old male and just got blood work back that showed slightly elevated levels of ALT (66) and also had UR Protien in my urinre of (11). everything else looked fine and my cholesterol numbers were as follows: HDL - 39, LDL - 106, total cholesterol 174, triglicerides - 145 & Non HDL Cholesterol at 135. I am 6 feet tall and weigh 180 pounds. Just curious as to whether or not I should be concerned about the high ALT & UR protien readings and if the cholesterol readings are in range. I am on no medications.
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 8 hours later

Thanks for the query.

I have read your reports which have two concerns high ALT and protein in urine.

Your ALT (Alanine transaminase) value is just above the reference range of 7 to 56 IU/L. It is not considered significant unless it is three times more than the reference range.

Proteins in urine is an important sign of many kidney diseases, however it can occur in many non serious reasons.

You can get a couple of repeat urine tests done in next one month and if two out of three tests are negative, then nothing is to be done.

However if positive then you must be investigated for it by tests like Kidney function tests, CT (Computerized Tomography) abdomen and may be biopsy as you are hypertensive (controlled)and long standing hypertension can cause it.

I hope I have answered your queries, however if you wish to ask something more, you are welcome for further queries.

Thanks and wish you best of health.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor