Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Elevated blood pressure. How to reduce it immediately before medical test?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1992
Answered : 47 Questions
My BP is 140/100. I need to appear for a medical test day after tomorrow. How I can reduce it quicly
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. James M. Schwartz 23 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

As a responsible physician, I wish to first emphasize that your long term health depends on maintaining an average blood pressure in the normal range, rather than a single reading within the health exam guidelines. The preferred way to achieve a normal blood pressure is first with lifestyle modifications including maintaining a normal weight, getting regular exercise, limiting alcohol consumption, refraining from smoking and limiting dietary sodium. If these measures fail to normalize blood pressure, then an evaluation for secondary causes of high blood pressure and/or medication might be appropriate. Your doctor can help you with this evaluation.

A single reading of 140/100 might come down if you rest quietly, without conversation, for at least 5 minutes prior to taking the measurement. In fact, this is called a "resting blood pressure" and is the preferred way to take the measurement. It might also help if you had no caffeine for 4 hours prior to the reading. Certain medications can also raise blood pressure, if you are on any. Finally, limiting sodium intake for 24 hours prior to the reading might help a bit.

Once again, long term health includes blood pressure control, so please also consult your doctor.

I Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please do not forget to accept it.

Dr. J. Schwartz
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor