Elevated billirubin levels after typhoid treatment. What does it indicate?

Dr. Ratnakar Kini

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Tue, 26 Nov 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: My bilirubine is 2.32 just after typhoid treatment and I was operated and removed galblader at the age of 35 and at present my age is 57, please advice.
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: Need more information to give better opinion Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for posting your query. I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to assist you. I would like to have the complete report of the liver function test before I can give my opinion. Was ultrasound scan of the abdomen done? Kindly get back to be with these information and I would give my opinion. Regards, Dr.Ratnakar Kini
Follow up: Dr. Ratnakar Kini 3 hours later
Sir, The detailed LFT report is as under: S. Billirubin (Total) 2.24 SGOT 61.0 SGPT 70.0 T. Protien 7.1 Albumin 4.0 Globulin 3.1 A:G Ratio 1.29 S. Alkaline Phosphatase 174.0 No ultrasound scan of abdomen done yet
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detailed answer given below Detailed Answer: Hi, Your liver enzymes are only mildly raised. The most common cause is fatty liver disease. An ultrasound scan of the abdomen may be done for confirmation. Sometimes it could be due to infections. So also get tested for hepatitis B and hepatitis C. You also repeat the liver function test after 4 weeks to see whether it has returned to baseline which will help to plan further course of action. Let me know if I can assist you further. Regards, Dr.Ratnakar Kini
Follow up: Dr. Ratnakar Kini 10 minutes later
sir, four weeks back I did a widal test in which the O AG was 1/160 and H AG was 1/80. Widal test was again done after treatment on fourth week the results are same. DO you think that I have typhood.? should I get tested for Hept.A B & C. This LFT was done on fourth week same at the time of second widal. Kindly give your probable diagnosis. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 4 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detailed answer given below Detailed Answer: Hi, Probably you are recovering from typhoid fever. You can get Hep B and C done. This slightly abnormal liver function could be due to infection ( typhoid) or fatty liver as mentioned in my previous post. Get an ultrasound scan of the abdomen done to look for fatty liver. If it is due to the recent infection, then the liver would recover over the next few weeks. That is why I told you to repeat the liver function test after 4 weeks. I hope that answers your question. Let me know if I can assist you further. Regards, Dr.Ratnakar Kini