Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
130 Doctors are Online

Elevated SGPT, SGOT levels. Overweight, high cholesterol. How to reduce these levels?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1995
Answered : 4036 Questions
Hi I just got some blood tests back which were done as part of insurance policy. My SGPT is 68 and SGOT is 44. I am overweight (88kg, height 5 feet 10 inch/177cm). My cholestrol is also high at 214 and so is triglycerides at 311. Rest all the numbers are okay. Can you tell me what should I do to get these numbers back in order ?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 29 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query and sharing your reports.

There are couples of areas of concern.

1. Your weight: You are over weight by about 8-10kgs.
2. Your cholesterol and triglycerides are high
3. Liver enzymes are marginally raised.

You need to do following for bringing this numbers in normal range.

1. Reduce your weight: Plan your diet well. Avoid fried foods, junk foods, cold drinks etc.Do not drink too much of tea/coffee. You should take help of a qualified dietician for this. You need to plan your diet well. In today’s era irregular diet and stress are the two main reasons for obesity.

2. Do regular exercise. Regular 30-40 minutes of exercise is must. You can do either brisk walking or other exercise. You should to this on most days of the week.

3. Stop tobacco in any form, if you are taking. Reduce your alcohol intake if you are taking.

4. You need regular visit your to your family physician to keep a watch on your blood pressure, weight and general health.

5. Please also take more care if you have family history of heart disease etc.

6. Repeat your lipid profile and liver enzymes after a period 3 months after advice from your doctor.

I hope this helps.

Please write again if you have something more to ask.

In case you do not have further query, please accept the answer.

Wishing you best of health.



Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Elevated SGPT, SGOT levels. Overweight, high cholesterol. How to reduce these levels? 3 minutes later
Thank you very much doctor for this answer. I will make sure that I follow your advice from now on. I do not smoke but I will quit drinking from now on. I will also exercise more and concentrate on my diet. Can you also suggest me some diet which I should follow ?
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 13 minutes later

Good to hear from you so soon.

Please understand basic principles of diet.

1. Have 4 meals in a day. Take good breakfast which should consist of fruits and salads and some sprouted beans. Take healthy lunch and have after noon snacks like some biscuits, fruits etc.Dinner should be very light.
2. Do not over eat or skip meals.
3. Do not drink too much of tea/coffee etc.
4. Replace brown bread with white bread.
5. Drink butter milk before lunch or dinner that will give sense of satiety faster.
6. Eat slowly and chew your food properly. Have meals in peace, do not talk on phone or watch T.V. while having meals.
7. In case of difficult to follow, please take help from a dietician who can plan a practical diet for you depending upon your requirements.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor