Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Elevated GGT, AST and ALT level. Should I eliminate alcohol from diet?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 1962
Answered : 693 Questions
My GGT was double normal My AST normal and my ALT elevated one point. Should I eliminate alcohol from my diet?
Posted Thu, 4 Oct 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 19 minutes later
I am wondering whether the enzyme abnormalities were
found on routine blood work or you were having some
symptoms such as right sided upper abdominal pain, nausea
or vomiting along with fever etc, suggestive of gallbladder
problems. Of the different enzymes AST and ALT may come
down before the GGT level comes down after the injurious
agents are stopped.
Sounds like currently alcohol is part of your diet !
If you have a glass of red wine daily along with a nutritious
diet, that will be fine so long as you don't have underlying
liver disease. If you are steady drinker of alcoholic beverages
for a number of years, you already could have beginning liver
damage. Initially, you can have "Fatty Liver" with liver cells
filled with fat and this can lead to "Cirrhosis" or scarring of
the liver. This stage is more serious and associated with
bleeding, liver coma and death.
My advice to patients is, if there are abnormaities indicating
liver damage or inflammation, please stop drinking alcohol.
Whether a person is able to drink alcohol again depends on
how much damage has already been done.
In your case,I also suggest that you get a sonogram of the
liver and gallbladder to rule out associated gallstone disease.
Always, check your medications, prescription and over the
counter ones, since they can affect liver tests.
Hope this answers your concerns.
Wish you well.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor