Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

Elevated Blood Urea Nitrogen Serum Creatinine ratio. Are there things I can do at home first?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
I'm 59 female, my Total bilirubin is 1.5, my direct bilirubin is 0.34, I had an ultrasound and it showed my organs looking clean no fatty tissue. My BUN is 20, Creatinine, Serum 0.79 (which are normal) but my BUN/Creatinine Ratio is 25. I have no symptoms I feel great, run 4 miles everyday. They did change my statin to Crestor and upped the dosgae to 20 mg. My PCP wants me to see a gastroenterologist so would he automatically want to do a ERCP? I would rather have the MRCP or nothing.Are their things I can do at home first, with diet, homeopathic, etc?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 8 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

An elevated Blood Urea Nitrogen (BUN) Serum Creatinine ratio (BUN/S. Creatinine) may be due to a low or low-normal creatinine and a BUN within the reference range is unlikely to be of clinical significance. The BUN-Creat ratio of more than 20 may indicate any pre-renal pathology like upper gastrointestinal bleed or may be considered normal in advanced age group patients.

The bilirubin levels depend on lab techniques and sometimes the upper normal range could be considered till 1.9.

Considering you are asymptomatic and with almost normal investigations, I do not think the gastroenterologist should subject you to any further procedures if you do not wish so.

Another possibility is of Crestor induced elevation of liver enzymes or liver damage, so discuss with your doctor and if possible be on the minimum dosage required for adequate cholesterol control which can be adjusted by your doctor considering your levels and general condition.

Meanwhile I suggest you can limit your animal protein intake in diet and include a high fiber XXXXXXX diet and drink plenty of water. It would be best to consult a nutritionist for detailed diet management. As of now, I think you do should try any more medicines, homeopathic or otherwise.

However, your consultation with the gastroenterologist should relieve these doubts.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Nephrologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor