Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

127 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Elevated ALT, AST and Alk phos. Next step?

Answered by
Dr. Ram Choudhary

Internal Medicine Specialist

Practicing since :2001

Answered : 2272 Questions

Posted on Tue, 4 Jun 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Should I be concerned about an ALT blood level of 63; anAST reading of 47 and a ALK PHOS reading of 120???
If so, what is next step?
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 2 hours later
Welcome to Healthcare Magic.
Your liver functions are deranged. This shows a liver insult, cause can be a hepatitis virus infection like hep.A,B,C or E or other hepatotropic virus infection, fatty liver due to erratic dietary habits or alcohol intake or may be due to some drug or any toxic foods.
You should get a repeat full liver function test including bilirubin levels, SGOT/SGPT/Alk.phosphatase , Albumin and Prothrombin time in a week's time to see the trend to decide about management, Also get an Ultrasound of whole abdomen to assess the liver.
Mean while avoid alcohol if any, avoid fast foods, fried and fatty foods and nonvege if any.
If you have yellowish discoloration at sclera of the eyes XXXXXXX skin and urine, which suggests jaundice then you should get evaluated by a local physician and would need urgent medical attention. Otherwise you can wait.
I hope the advise would be helpful for you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Ram Choudhary 7 hours later
Is my liver insult permanent or can it be reversed? If because of alcohol can I cut back to moderate consumption or must I stop completely? In dec 2012 my numbers were: ALT 22, ast 27, alp 94. In mid february2013 I was on crestor for 10 days then on niacin for 6 weeks.. I am now on 4000 mg. Of omega 3 s and 1000 mg of magnesium there any supplement I can take to reduce my present numbers??if I reduce my alcohol consumption, how long would it take to get my numbers in the normal range again?
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 9 hours later
Welcome back to Healthcare Magic.
I think you have got Alcohol related liver injury. It seems you are enjoying too much, alcohol abuse is taking toll on your liver health.
Initially the damage is fully reversible but after a certain point of damage permanent changes called cirrhosis take place and then nothing much can be done with medicines.
Please get the full LFT and ultrasound of abdomen.
You need a full abstinence fron alcohol.
Take a multivitamin supplement having B-complex+vit.C+vit.A+E twice a day for about a month.
Get LFT every week.
Your current medicines will hardly be helpful if you continue to consume alcohol, infact no drug can save the liver if you do not cut down the alcohol intake reasonably.
I hope the advise would be helpful for you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Ram Choudhary 36 minutes later
What is LFT mean? If I reduce my intake of alcohol to one drink daily, how long before my numbers are back to normal, given that I had only been drinking heavily for under four months??
Should I be using an over the counter liver detox drink from cvs or whole foods??
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
welcome to Healthcare magic.
LFT means Liver function test, it is the same test of which Numbers you have mentioned earlier.
It is done with other ancillary test as I have advised in previous answer to check the health of liver.
You should stop the alcohol to be safe.
If you want to try with a bit uncertainty you can try but gold standard is to abstain fully.
How much you recover will depend on how firmly you quit the alcohol and how much is the damage already done by the alcohol consumption.
I have already told you that No detox will protect as far as your liver gets the hit of alcohol. You should take balanced diets with good protein amount and low fats.
I hope you will choose the safest option and gain health soon.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,   ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Cirrhosis

doctor1 MD

Hi, may I answer your health queries right now ? Please type your query father has liver cirhosis and chronic kidney disease stage 4,he has ascites and urine output is low,how can we increase his urine output ,since diurtics is nt working for him

doctor1 MD

I have been consuming alcohol for last 10 yeras. Last one year only intermittent consumption. LFT readings are high after consumption, gets within normal reading within 2 weeks of stopping. Stopped conumption on 25th January. LFT readings on 13th February was- Bilirubin total 0.6, direct 0.2. SGOT 37, SGPT 47. On 23rd February LFT showed elevated bilirubin - 1.2,0.3. 35, 44. No alcohol intake during the period. Ultrasound scan taken on 26th showed liver, normal in size, with fatty infiltration. From 26th February till 12th March consumed alcohol. LFT taken today 27th March shows, bilirubin 1.2. 0.3, Sgot 39, SGPT 42. Usally after abstainance for two weeks, bilirubin should have been well within normal levels. Does this indicate any liver damage or beginning stage of cirrhosis? kindly advise. Now after three weks bilirubin levels are again normal at 0.7.

doctor1 MD

I have non alcoholic cirrhosis diagnosed 10 years ago I have been relatively well but recently had liver pain and home urine test shows billliruben in urine does this a deteriation?I am 64 year old female with many other helath issues lupus sle underactive thyroid fibromyalgia to name just a few

doctor1 MD

hi my son is 29 years old,,, with ulcerative colitis,, lately he had a high blood pressure,,, after some medication he did some liver tests with results alt 70 and ast 49 ,,his docter asked a hepatitis tests, i just got the results on fax but not clear they are hepatitis b .06 and c .01 is that within the normal range meaning nohepatitis, and what the ast alt means,,thank you.

doctor1 MD

how can i tell if i have fatty liver

doctor1 MD

If a person with alpha1 antitrepsy suffers a hard blow to their chest can it be a life threatening injury?? What if they have already had damage done to the liver as a result of the alpha 1 antitrepsy could a blow cause life threatening injuries?

doctor1 MD

My Father is caused by hepatitis B positive , Please suggest How to make it negative and lever report is ok