Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
148 Doctors are Online

Elbow pain, software engineer, tendinitis, rest, immobilization, NSAIDs

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 336 Questions
I am 27 year old , I have been suffering because of the mild Elbow pain for last 2 years . I am a software engineer by proffession. I am not sure why this could have happened because of over usage of computer keyborad or for lifting some weights. previously it was for both the elbows and toe middle bone. now its only to the Right Elbow I have got fed up seeing orthopedicians . one doctor has taken Xray and given 8-9 pills a day .. when I have changed the doctor . He asked me to go through some blood tests which came very normal. he asked me to take some mild pain killers there after , but it was of no use .. he just kept changing the pain killers but nothing came out. Finally I stoped seeing doctors and started to live with the pain.

The pain comes outer side of the elbow exactly in the tendon of the join. it pains , but it is not severe. I am confused
I am not sure who treats with this kinda of disease .. I suspect it may be something like .. Tennis elbow , Golfers elbow or orthitis ..but i dont have any swelling .. for some relive intially I have tried massaging with some oils and Iceing and resting & wearing elbow gaurds . but it was just temporary relive .... i need some permanent solution So Please advice which Doctor i have to see to get rid of this
Please suggest me some good solution for this
Thu, 17 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 41 minutes later

From the description of the pain, it seems that you might be having tendinitis of the elbow joint tendons.

Tendinitis is inflammation, irritation, and swelling of a tendon, which is the fibrous structure that joins muscle to bone. Major symptoms include - Pain and tenderness along a tendon, usually near a joint, that is worse with movement or activity.

Persistent Forceful hand motions (as in computer users) causes wear and tear of the tendons and this over time results in inflammation.

Treatment includes medications to relieve pain and reduce inflammation.

But the most important factor on which recovery depends is Rest or immobilization of the affected tendons. This may be achieved using a splint or a removable brace. The application of heat or cold to the affected area can also help.

Medications such as NSAIDs such as aspirin or ibuprofen, can also reduce both pain and inflammation. In severe cases, Steroid injections into the tendon sheath might be needed.

The other important factor is physiotherapy. this helps stretch and strengthen the muscle and tendon and can restore the tendon's ability to function properly, improve healing, and prevent future injury.

Usually Symptoms improve with treatment and rest. If possible try to take a period of rest from your work as this will help in early recovery.

If rest is not taken the condition worsens, and irreparable damage can occur and you might need surgical procedures like tendon repair or transfer to help your hand and arm movements.

You might consult a experienced orthopedic surgeon who can treat and advice you accordingly. In addition consulting a physiotherapist will also help.

Hope I have answered your query.

If you have any more queries, I will be available to answer them as well.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor