Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
131 Doctors are Online

Elbow joint is still shifted after plaster. Should I go for surgery?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1975
Answered : 72 Questions
Hi All,
I'm having an orthographic injury. I had an accident on feb 2007, in that accident my right hand's elbow joint shifted from it's exact location, doctor didn't fixed that joint they just coverd it with plaster, After plaster till yet I can't open and close my hand properly. So it's possible to get this elbow's bone in correct shape by surgery or anything else??
Please revert me back me with your decision at
YYYY@YYYY or contact me directly on 0000.
Waiting for your reply.


Posted Sat, 20 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rajesh Gajwani 18 hours later
Thanks for your query.

After reading your symptoms I feel that there can be 2 issues with your injury:

1. Assuming that the plaster was placed and the joint is still shifted from the actual position then the answer can only be surgery but it needs to be clinically examined by an orthopedic surgeon.

2. If the plaster was placed and the doctor corrected the position of the elbow joint in 2007 but still the movement is inhibited then the treatment will be physiotherapy which will improve your hand/elbow mobility.

Before any decision is made, xrays are needed for a final diagnosis of the joint condition.

Hope this helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor