question-icon

Ecoli in blatter my girlfriend has re acuring every time

Posted on Sat, 2 Feb 2019
Question: Ecoli in blatter my girlfriend has re acuring every time we have sex , is it a good idea to take a pill before and after sex ?
Answered by Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
I would probably suggest a cycle of antibiotics taken by both of you.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear and welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

I understand your concern.

E. coli is a common bacteria that are found in the lower intestines.

It is the most common bacteria which cause bladder infection.

I would recommend you to do both a urinalysis to confirm the presence of a bladder infection.

If the diagnosis is confirmed I recommend a cycle of antibiotics take by both of you.

The most common antibiotic which is used to treat this infection is Ciprofloxacin 500 mg twice a day for at least a week.

During the period of treatment you should avoid intercourse.

As per your query, I do not recommend to take a pill before and after intercourse.

A full cycle of antibiotic treatment is needed to treat the infection.

I also recommend to drink a lot of liquids and especially cranberry juice.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi