Earlier this week I was bleeding from right ear. Now

Dr. Antoneta Zotaj

Posted on Sun, 13 Jan 2019 in General Health
Question: Earlier this week I was bleeding from right ear. Now I can hear my hear beating in that ear. I have had a mild headache daily since. Should I seek emergency medical attention
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possible causes and need for evaluation explained below

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Bleeding from the ear is not a common symptom and generally when it happens it needs a good evaluation. Possible causes and need for evaluation explained below.

If you have scratched your ears with something (your keys or cotton buds or anything else) then bleeding can be due to scratches of the ear canal or damage of the eardrum and seeing a doctor is recommended to rule out especially the rupture of the eardrum. This can be done with the local doctor and there is no need to rush to emergency yard.

Bleeding form the ear can also happen from trauma or from infection or a mass in the ear.
If you had a trauma recently, a fall, and you are experiencing bleeding from the ear you will need to see your doctor as soon as possible as this might be a sign of fractures of the cranial bones (bones of the head), emergency services are better used in this case to avoid delays.

If you have not had a fall from height or other strong trauma of the head then infection or a mass can be the cause of the bleeding from the ear and you will need to see your doctor but is not as urgent, you can try to contact your local doctor and have an appointment. The doctor will examine your ears with an othoscope and check the ear canal and the tympanic membrane to determine the source of the bleeding.

Meanwhile you will need to keep your ear from water (use cotton soaked in oil to block the ear's entrance) especially when you shower so that you reduce chances for infection or other complications. If you have pain please take some paracetamol or ibuprofen.

I hope I have answered to your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Antoneta Zotaj, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T