Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
146 Doctors are Online

Ear pain, probably due to water during bathing or change in weather. Can you suggest any drops?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2349 Questions
i am having pain right ear since two days
pain is not acute
i think it is due to some water intake during bathing and change in weather
can you suggest any drops
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later

Thanks for the query

The acute earache could be due to various reasons such as:
1. Swelling of the already impacted wax in the external auditory canal
2. Accumulation of fungal debris in the external auditory canal
3. Acute middle ear infection
4. Eustachian tube block

To describe in detail:
1. Sometimes, during the shower, water enters into the external auditory canal causing the already impacted wax to swell. The swelling of the wax exerts pressure over the external auditory canal causing pain.

2. Occasionally, due to the presence of moisture inside the external auditory canal fungus will grow. These fungal colonies nibble the underlying skin causing pain and blockage in the ear.

3. Eustachian tube (the tube connecting nose and the ear) catarrh is another condition wherein there is sudden blockage at the nasal end of the tube due to common cold, nasal allergy, etc., giving rise to pressure changes in the middle ear. The acute pressure changes in the middle ear gives rise to pain and blockage sensation.

It is very difficult to prescribe any particular ear drops on the net without examining, as the exact cause of your problem is not known. The treatment varies for each of the above conditions. Hence, I would suggest you to get your ears examined by a good ENT specialist and get treated for the same.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor