Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Ear injury, blockage in ear, impaired hearing, used Waxol to remove ear wax

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 2549 Questions
I am 22 year old female. Hi I got slapped on my left ear 6 days ago and it is blocked and I cannot hear clearly from that ear, I am really worried. Is there any way to improve it? I consulted a doctor and she prescribed a liquid named 'Waxol' to remove my ear wax but it is not helping much. Please help me out.
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 4 hours later

Thank you for your query.

A slap on the ear may cause the ear drum to rupture leading to a traumatic rupture which can be easily recognized by it's posterior position on the ear drum and blood stained jagged edges.

If the ear wax plug in your external ear canal has somehow prevented that due to it's presence, then all you need is to have the wax removed by an ENT Specialist.

Ear syringing will not be a good idea as the ear drum may be ruptured behind the wax plug. Hence insist on Suction and Clearance (S/C) under the microscope. This will be the safest way to remove the wax and examine the eardrum of your left ear.

Do not attempt to remove the ear wax on your own.

You should then have a Pure Tone Audiometry (PTA) to rule out any sensorineural hearing loss (SSNHL), which which needs to be addressed immediately.

If you do have a traumatic perforation in your left ear drum, and if you have only mild conductive hearing loss (CHL), keep a regular follow up with your ENT Specialist for four to six weeks. Traumatic perforations usually heal well within this time period and the hearing should return to normal as the ear drum heals.

It is important to avoid water entry into the ear (keep it dry) and to prevent any infection which may delay healing.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor