Ear filled with fluid and getting constant pressure in head. What treatment should be done?

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Fri, 8 Feb 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My ears have been full of milky 'glue like' fluid for the past 8 months. I've taken antibiotics, nasal spray, and tried everything else I could. I have constant pressure in my head, I really can't smell or taste food, I have muffled hearing, and I have a constant headache.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Get a Tympanometry / Impedance Audiometry done.

2. If you have a 'B' type graph, showing fluid still trapped in the ears, get a myrongotomy snd grommet insertion done.

3. In serous otitis media (SOM), fluid trapped for many months dries up to a glue like consistency. this glue does not drain easily, even with medical therapy.

4. If you have muffled hearing, get a PTA (Pure Tone Audiogram) done.

5. Since you also have loss of smell and flavour, pressure in the head and headache, get a CT PNS (Para Nasal Sinuses) done.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questins, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later
Is there anything I can do without getting all those test?
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 11 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. You may try regular steam inhalation and an OTC nasal decongestant drop or spray.

2. Do not use these nasal decongestant drops for more than two weeks continuously.

3. You may request your doctor for a fresh course of an anti-allergic decongestant, mucolytic and anti-inflammatory medication for two weeks.

4. If there is still no relief, you may follow the instructions above.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad