EKG showed sinus rhythm slow, left axis deviation consistent with LAFB. What does this mean?

Dr. Anil Grover

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 9 Jan 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My husband had a EKG today. Abnormal results. Sinus rhythm slow, marked left axis deviation consistent with LAFB, slight intraventricular conduction delay. What does this mean for him, his is 57 with High Blood Pressure?
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 13 minutes later
Hi there,
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist. I read your mail with diligence.
What you have written appears to be a computer generated report yet to be ratified by the doctor.
Left axis deviation slight intra ventricular delay can occur as a result of left ventricular hypertrophy as a result of hypertension. If your husband is on treatment with B blocker then slow sinus rhythm is to be expected. If he is not on treatment then he should start treatment without delay. I am sure, he would have consulted a doctor and had been investigated for effects of blood pressure on heart by investigation like echocardiography and kidneys by urine examination and renal function tests. Your doctor will like to look for other risk factors for coronary artery disease as hypertension is one of the 7 known modifiable risk factors; others are 2: Diabetes 3: Smoking 4: Elevated bad cholesterol 5: Decreased Good Cholesterol 6: Stress and 7: Obesity and lack of exercise. Looking forward to hear from you before we decide what you ought to do with this EKG. Good Luck.
With best wishes.
Dr Anil Grover,
Cardiologist & Medical Specialist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow up: Dr. Anil Grover 19 minutes later
Thanks for you quick reply. I got this information from the unconfirmed EKG report. My husband is not on BETA Blockers at this time, but with this information we will be contacting his doctor in the morning for a follow up and probably see a cardiologist.

Can I contact you with the results?

Thanks for the information.
XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 8 minutes later

Sure, my pleasure, however give complete details please.

Thanks for writing back

Dr Anil Grover