ECG report showed good systolic function but reduced diastolic compliance. What does this mean?

Dr. Aslam Lalani

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My echo cardiogram report shows good systolic function, but reduced diastolic compliance (impaired).
What does this imply? Do I need treatment or change in life style. I am 75 years, retired but active.
Answered by Dr. Aslam Lalani 2 hours later

It is my pleasure to answer you.

2D Echo test gives information about heart anatomy and heart function, including both systolic and diastolic function. Systolic function means ability of the heart to pump the blood into circulation. Diastolic function means ability of the heart to relax. As the persons age increases, the ability of heart to relax will get impaired. It is a normal physiological process.
As your age is 75 years, I feel it is related to your age. No need to worry, and does not require any treatment.
You said you are having an active life. So continue your routine activity.

The following changes in your life style can improve your life.

Diet:
- Take good quantity of fresh fruits, fresh XXXXXXX leafy vegetables, pulses, and legumes, nuts like almond, wall nut, soybeans, and lentils.
- Take whole grain food like brown bread, brown rice, whole wheat, oatmeal, popcorn, seafood like sea fish salmon, tuna, sardine, meat like chicken without skin, lean poultry etc.
-Take low fat dairy foods like skimmed milk, low fat yogurt, and low fat cheese.
- Restrict salt intake < 4 gram /day.
- Avoid saturated food item like fried food, ghee, butter, red meat, organ meat like liver, kidney and seafood like prawns, crabs, egg yellow if you are non-vegetarian.
- Take low fat dairy foods like skimmed milk, low fat yogurt, and low fat cheese.

Exercise:
- Do regular walking,
- Do stress relaxation techniques like yoga?

Addiction:
- Quit any form of Tobacco if you are using.
- Limit alcohol intake.
- Say ‘No’ to all forms of addiction.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help you.

Thank you

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan