During my recent health check up, ultrasound showed existence of

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist

Posted on Thu, 4 Apr 2019 in General Health
Question: During my recent health check up, ultrasound showed existence of stone of size 19.7mm in the gall bladder. There are no signs of any symptoms but considering the risks and complications in future it is advisable for surgery?
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Usually any gall bladder stone larger than 10 mm is best treated by surgery

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

To the best of my knowledge and as mentioned in medical literature, if a person has a single gall bladder stone less than 10 mm in diameter and not causing any symptoms, only then medical treatment may be tried.

If the gall bladder stone is larger than 10 mm in diameter or if there are more than 1 stone (any number) or if there is pain and swelling of gall bladder even if there is a single stone less than 10 mm, then surgery is the best method of treatment.

Therefore your stone is single and larger than 10 mm and not causing symptoms. However due to size criteria, surgery may be the best way to treat your condition and prevent any complications.

You may consult more than one surgeon doctor before taking a decision.