Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Dull pain in testicle. Doubt about testicular torsion.

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 436 Questions
I am not sure I might have some form of testicular torsion. I have slight dull pain in my left testicle. I need help !
This started 4 days ago, and I have been avoiding jeans or pants since then. The pain isnt much strong but a light pain, now I ve heard bad rumors about torsion and hernia and I m afraid it can be either of them.

I weigh 200 lbs, give or take, and I m 5feet 11 inches tall.
I m really concerned and embarrassed now !
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Testicle Problems
Answered by Dr. Radhika 44 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.

As I believe that more information can help a physician arrive at an accurate diagnosis, please do not mind in answering the following:
1. Do you have any swelling in the testicular area?
2. Do you have any burning sensation or pain while passing urine?
3. Do you have vomiting?

There are many causes for testicular pain which include
•     Varicocele
•     Epididymal cyst
•     Hydrocele
•     Orchitis
•     Injury sustained during sports like cycling
•     Sometimes, even a kidney stone can move from the kidney area downwards to the bladder and out through the penis will usually cause intense sharp pains in the abdomen. This pain is commonly referred downwards into the testicle region.

It is unlikely that the pain you are currently experiencing is due to testicular torsion since this is an acutely painful condition accompanied by nausea, fever, chills or blood in your urine. If you are experiencing such symptoms or a lump or swelling in or around a testicle, then you will need to go to the ER.

You can take an over-the-counter pain reliever such as Tablet Tylenol 200 mg twice a day.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Dull pain in testicle. Doubt about testicular torsion. 1 hour later
Thanks a lot for replying back.

No I do not have any burning sensation while urinating and there is no vomiting or anything else unusual, there is no uneven swelling that is visible 'to my eye' but only this mild discomfort and when I move around or something, or just the fact that if there is any pressure applied to left testicle area there is this mild pain.

The pain only occurs when there is a mild pressure applied and its not chronic or acute or sharp or whatever. The level of discomfort has decreased since it started but it might be that I m getting used to it.

I ve had a job for the past 6 months of just sitting at one place - I m an internet freelancer so there is not much work out or moving about that I do, could that be a problem ?

I ve also felt mild spasm like situation of the muscles around that area - almost like a cellphone vibrate mode - please don't laugh . But this happened only once or twice that too only today.

.... my ex GF once said that my penis is smaller than the 'last' guy she was with. Now I do not know what an average guy's penis looks like (neither do I want to know) BUT what I mean is when not erect it's size is about 2-3 inches and during sexual activity it is around 6 inches (not sure of accurate measurements) So is this related to this ?
And the Tablet Tylenol 200 mg is that available in any drug store and I live at West bengal so there wont be any problems for to find this ?
Are any alternatives if I dont find that by any chance ?
Can I take spasmo proxivon ?

Please advice if this is a serious issue ? I do not have elders to consult in my home as of now.
Answered by Dr. Radhika 17 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.

If you are not having any of these symptoms, it is unlikely it can be anything serious. You need not worry. What you are experiencing is mild discomfort in the testicular region.

These can be caused due to too frequent or too infrequent ejaculation, sexual arousal without ejaculation, withdrawal at the time of ejaculation, continuous bike riding, and excessive spicy foods, alcohol, and caffeine in the diet can predispose you to this.

Sitting for long periods of time, especially in an automotive vehicle, can put undue pressure and aggravate the condition. It is best not to sit more than 2-3 hours at a time.

Do not worry about the size of the penis or any vibration sensation causing such problems. These are all normal.

Tylenol will not be available in West Bengal, sorry about that, but since you are having Spasmoproxyvon, and you can take that till the pain reduces. In case it does not, you will need to consult Urologist so that he can evaluate and start on antibiotics if there is any inflammation.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a General Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor