Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
135 Doctors are Online

Dull pain in right rib cage and unable to tolerate fried foods. Reason?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2408 Questions
I have dull pain in right rib cage for a week. I have hard time eating. I can not tolerate fried foods. what can cause this issue?
Posted Tue, 26 Nov 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Rib inflammation or acid peptic disease Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX I have read your query. You seem to have dull pain in the right rib cage for a week. The most probable cause for this is an inflamed rib. Often is pain is moderate to severe in intensity, and not dull as you are experiencing. Going by the other factors like hard time eating, unable to tolerate fried foods, means to say there is a problem with digestion. This could be mostly due to acid peptic disease or increased stomach acid secretions. For this, I would prescribe my patients with a week's course of antacids like Omeprazole on empty stomach. I would suggest you to try this as well. It is available over the counter at your place. I also advise you to refrain from eating fried foods, oily and high fatty foods. Drink more of water and fluids orally. Stick to bland diet, and consume more of vegetable salads and fruits. You should be fine in a week. If the symptoms are worsening in a week's time, it would be better to think of other possibilities like Muscle sprain. Hope this helps you. Get well soon.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor