Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
126 Doctors are Online

Due to have foot surgery. Tendon over the big toe. Could the injection sites be numb?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5767 Questions
Hi, I am going to having foot surgery soon because I severed a tendon over the big toe and will also put in two pins for support. Can I get a block instead of general or sedation? I hate the way I feel sedated. I understand there are five injections. Can the injection sites be numbed? I don't care if I hear different sounds like a drill or what. The doctor said that the procedure would only take 20 minutes. Thank you for your time.
Posted Thu, 7 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No general anesthesia is necessary.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the query.

Yes, you can have a block. Generally such procedures are performed in spinal anesthesia (so called Subarachnoid Spinal Block). This gives an ability to deaden one leg (or both) only. This is a standard procedure and no general anesthesia is necessary. For your comfort some sedatives can be injected as an addition to spinal block. You will be sleeping, but the breathing wont be disturbed.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Due to have foot surgery. Tendon over the big toe. Could the injection sites be numb? 57 minutes later
Hello, How would the doctor numb one leg? I tried finding more info on this but, I may not be using the right words. Thanks again
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
detailed below

Detailed Answer:
Well, there is an injection in the spine made when you lie on the one side. This causes that the gravity holds injected medicine on the one side.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor