Due to change in climate and water, with cold temperatures.

Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist

Posted on Fri, 1 Feb 2019 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: Due to change in climate and water, with cold temperatures. I am getting constant cough and feels like my throat is full plum. please help
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
follow the advice, observe how you stay thereafter...

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome to 'Ask A Doctor' service...
I've gone through your query in details...

Your symptoms are quite likely due to congestion secondary to some allergic reaction and respiratory tract infection/inflammation...

-If there is any fever, pain/aches, you should take Acetaminophen/PARACETAMOL 650mg three times daily after some food for the next few days...

-Start doing Chlorhexidine gargle twice daily and lukewarm saline gargle twice daily in an alternate fashion...avoid going to any overcrowded places, for the time being, perhaps use a face mask while going out...

-Take some steam inhalation thrice daily, it'll help to ease the associated symptoms to some extent and clear the secretions/drainage...

-Avoid any form of cold-drinks, dairy products and sour foods as they can further aggravate this situation...

-Please drink a lot of fluids. Have plenty of warm liquids (soups, broth, porridge etc.), they'll act as an immunity booster and fasten the recovery.

With all these, you should be feeling better...However, if there's persistence beyond a few days, then you should get it checked up by a physician as there may be a need to start prescription based combination antibiotics as well as decongestants (generally, in my patients, I'd advice antibiotic Co-Amoxiclav twice daily for 5-7days along with decongestants like tab. Sinarest 10mg three times daily for 4-5 days)...

Let me know if I can assist you further...
Wish you good health...

Take Care
Kind Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee