Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

188 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Dry, itchy, swollen and burning vagina. Using monistat. Should I consult a gynecologist?

Answered by
Dr. Aarti Abraham


Practicing since :1998

Answered : 6011 Questions

Posted on Sat, 19 Jan 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: vaginal issuesI am 21 years old. 5'5 and 150 lbs. I am not on current medications. I have been having some odd problems with my vaginal area. I have recently been more sexually active then usual. My current partner and I have slept together months ago, but recently became involved again. He has no sexually transmitted diseases and neither do I. For the past two to three days, I have had issues in my vaginal opening area and the labials. My partner and I had painful sex about four days ago. I noticed it was making me sore. well, I am now experiencing pain, swelling, burning and itching. I do not have an odor or blood. I have noticed my vaginal opening is dry and appears to have little bitty lumps almost like a heat rash. I am using monistat for itching and burning and it is working. any idea on what this could be? should I go to my gyno?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
Thanks for your question on this portal.
There could be a few causes of the problems which you describe, which I will outline below :
1. Condom allergy or soreness / irritation to condoms or products you might be using locally such as jellies/spermicidals/lubricants.
2. Local vaginal infections causing inflammation and hence soreness, pain, swelling, burning and itching. These can range from yeast ( candida ) infection which causes dryness, and whitish discharge , alongwith severe itching. For this, you can use local antifungals such as monistat. However, you should definitely see a gynecologist, who would confirm the diagnosis, and add any oral medication or other drugs as required. Also, get your blood sugars tested, and have a recent screen for sexually transmitted diseases.
3. Other common infections are parasitic ( Trichomonal), where the discharge is greenish, frothy and also itchy. Bacterial infections have a characteristic fishy odour. Your gynecologist will be able to distinguish between these by local examination as well as by sending vaginal samples for analysis.
4. Sometimes, symptoms of burning while urinating, pain in lower abdomen, frequent urge to urinate etc. If this is so, you need to get your urine analysis done for infection, and then take treatment accordingly. Consume lots of fluids meanwhile.
5. Avoid vigorous scrubbing of your private parts, and do not use heavily medicated or perfumed cleansers, douches etc. Use minimally irritant fabrics for local use. Avoid using tampons for the time being. Cleanse your private parts thoroughly with water, without rubbing too much.
6. All sexually transmitted diseases cannot be tested for, using routine tests. Most common vaginal infections are definitely transmitted sexually, hence please have your partner also undergo examination by a Specialist.
7. At certain times of a female's menstrual cycle, due to hormonal imbalance, the vagina and local areas experience dryness and irritation, which also can present this way.
So please visit your gynecologist to confirm the diagnosis and for appropriate prescription.
Feel free to ask for further clarifications.
Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Vaginitis

doctor1 MD

I have had horrible pains inserting a tampon. It also happens sometimes during sex. It doesn't happen every time, but it seems to be getting worse over the years. what could this be?

I am 29, 5'4", 123 lbs. I have had 3 major surgeries. First was for lazy eye when I was 2, then corrective jaw surgery at 15 or 16. Then at 23 I had an emergency c-section in childbirth. Throughout my adolescence, I had unexplained headaches and was prescribed random medications for them that I don't remember helping. I was diagnosed with gastreonitis as a young teenager and I've had problems with this my entire life. I was told I had acute scoliosis as a child. I used to get UTI's all the time. I've had vaginitis a few times. I have recently discovered that I have an ingroinal hernia. I've always bulged a little in that area every once in a while as far back as I can remember, but after childbirth it kept getting bigger and bigger and now is uncomfortable and is out most of the time unless I'm laying down.

doctor1 MD

Hi a few weeks ago the outside of my vagina was really itchy, so I scratched it and then I noticed there was some blood. So I thought I burst a spot or something. Now that area looks like a blister but without the bubble on top it’s the same...

doctor1 MD

I don't believe I have an STD , recently, my vagina (don't know the proper term) but where my hole is had a lot of irritation, when I woke it hurts or when I pee it then burns and I have to XXXXXXX it with toilet paper to reduce the pain, no odor,...

doctor1 MD

I am 10 weeks pregnant. I was on susten 400mg vaginal suppositries for the past 2 months. I am having vaginal burning, inflammation and itchiness. It burns specially after passing urine. Kindly suggest what to do?

doctor1 MD

Hi I want to know if I have herpes
I have been fingered by 3 guys, all whom i presume did not have herpes (but I can't be sure). I am currently with my boyfriend, and he has had no previous sexual partners. We have had genital to genital contact and both have no symptoms of herpes and it has been 8 months since I was fingered by somebody other than my boyfriend. I get occassional itching in my pubic area, having had a yeast infection before, in other instances where i have noticed itching i have applied a hydrozole cream and it has gone away with a day or 2.

doctor1 MD

I ve recently been experiencing abdominal boosting/cramping not period related paired w/ a foul vaginal/ urine smell, there is no itching or burning or odd discharge . In the past I ve had persistent bacterial/ yeast infectios but these symptoms seem different. My husband has also recenty been experiencing tenderness/redness on his penis lasting over a week and this is worrisome. About a month ago we participated in a MFF threesome and we are concerned we may have caught an STD? HELP

doctor1 MD

I am visiting my family in Iowa and I won t be home in Texas until June 5th. I went to urgent care for what turned out to be vaginitis not yeast, not bacteria. I am 65 and I haven t had any problems like this in 16 years. From my a urine sample the physician s assistant said the lab saw a little blood, a little sugar, and a lot of white blood cells. I take Methylphenidate 20 mg. and Citalopram 20 mg. I also take Crestor 10 mg. Do any of these meds effect the kidneys? I drank a glass of wine last Thursday. But I don t mix alcohol with these meds.