Dry, itchy spots on waist line and itchy eyelids with some discharge on it. What could this be?

Dr. Santosh Kondekar

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in Infections
Question: Hi there, for about 6 weeks ago I noticed that my body was dried out and itchy in random spots, particularly on my waste line where my underwear sits, on my arms where my shirt cuffs rest, and around my genital area there are also some dull reddish spots on my skin with alittle dry on them kinda wear your pubic hair starts. I also have really itch eyelids and tear ducts which I have already had medicated drops for. There is also some discharge sitting on my eyelids at times, I can't stand the body itching and eye itching. I noticed all these changes 7 weeks after unprotected sex. What could this be? I have been to the doctor and he prescribed me with Cypro, and zyphrn eye drops.
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 3 hours later
Hi there,

Itchiness all over body is often seen in allergy or fungal infections. Since you are describing red dots, often this is due to fungal infection like candida fungus. Eye discharge may be unrelated as long as eyes are not getting red.

The complaint you have mentioned does not appear to have any relation to unprotected sex.

I hope this answers your concerns. Let me know if I can help you further.

Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Follow up: Dr. Santosh Kondekar 5 hours later
Okay, also as far as my eyes go, when I first noticed them, my eyes were itchy especially where my tear ducts are now they are itchy along my eyelids. The little red veins in it would flare up and become really red along with the discharge. I would wake up with either a grey or white discharge sitting on my eye lids with crust in the corner of my eye or in eye lashes. My eyes seem dry or almost like they arnt producing oils. Could this be blepharatis ? Or possibly related to a fungal infection. Just to clarify about my body, my body is dry all over, itches and is red with thos dull spots that have not left, mostly in the genital and waste line area, but the itching on my body comes and goes with a light red rash that comes along with it that also comes and goes, would Candida's affect the entire body like this? Thank u for ur quick reply
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 38 hours later
Hi again.

Fungal infections do affect the entire body at times with a whole skin looking scaly or dry, called as tinea corporis.

But more commonly you may have an allergic personality with atopic skin and eye symptoms can be a part of allergic conjunctivitis.

Blepharitis does produce similar symptoms, but in it there is also loss of eyelashes and may be painful and also conjunctiva won't be that red in blepharitis alone.

I would suggest you to discuss with your doctor regarding the need for antihistamine tablets, antibiotic or steroid eye drops..

I hope this helps you understand the complex situation.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Santosh Kondekar 2 hours later
Okay thank you, through research I figured it was what u were saying above, my doctor actually refused to look in my eyes and said candida does not exist and says its in my head. So I came here. I just have a couple more questions before i go though. Your replies were helpful, but I was wondering if u could recommend any sort of over the counter remedy if it is fungal...I currently am going to try a candida cleanse but will it work for Tinea corporis too? The rashy areas are at my waste line and stomach where my hair is it kinda looks like a heat rash sorta that doesn't go away round reddish flat almost looks similar to eczema but its not. And my eyes also get this shooting irritation through them kinda like a pinched nerve feeling along with the other symptoms. would u recommend seeing an optometrist? bc I have tried antibiotic pink eye drops and zymar which haven't done anything. This is my final post and I'm looking to hear back from u, thank u for your help, time and patience.
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 1 hour later

Thank you.

Over the counter anti fungals are not recommended. Candida cleanser may work, but it is not recommended for this use.

It seems that you are having a global fungal infection (not in eyes). It needs to be proved first before you think of chemical treatment of whole body. Some creams and drugs do cause life threatening complications.

You do not need an optometrist for red eyes. You may need a skin specialist who will take sample of skin scrapings to confirm fungus. Sometimes you may even need systemic therapy if it turns out so.
Extensive fungal infections need a cautious, correct and long term approach and are not simple to treat. So please get examined and tested for getting a proper treatment.

Regards.