Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

194 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Dry flaky skin on elbow and foot. What could be causing this?

Answered by
Dr. Kalpana Pathak


Practicing since :2006

Answered : 2015 Questions

Posted on Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi. My daughter has a patch of dry flaky skin (red underneath) that is quite sore - on her elbow and her foot. They both began as a small blister - and she now has one on her other foot. Any ideas..?
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 18 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us,

This patch of dry flaky skin that your daughter is having could be eczema or psoriasis.
However I would be in better position to answer, if you could upload an image of the concerned area. You can use this website's uploader to upload good quality images of the affected areas.

Hoping to hear from you soon...

Take care

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Kalpana Pathak 34 minutes later
Hi. She's not ever had eczema or psoriasis although my son had it when very young.
Our GP has taken a sample and sent it off, but I was hoping there is a quick answer/solution.

Attached is her elbow. It has been like this for 3+ months.

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later

Thanks for writing back.

Unfortunately, I haven't received any uploaded image. If you are having problem uploading it, you may send it to YYYY@YYYY and mention ATTN "Dr. Kalpana Pathak" in subject column.

Anyways, eczema usually begins as a small itchy lesion that increases in size. It's very itchy and slight oozing of fluid can be seen in early stages. Slight scaling is also seen and the lesion is red underneath.
In psoriasis a thick elevated red skin lesion is seen and is covered with thick white silvery scales.

I can only confirm the diagnosis, once I can see the image of concerned area.
In the meanwhile, you might apply a steroid based cream over the lesion. If the lesion is sore, oozy with fissuring an antibiotic steroid cream will be required.

Hope that answers your query. Should there be further query, I would be happy to assist you.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Kalpana Pathak 38 minutes later
Photo Attached.

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 33 minutes later

Thanks for sending the image.

It seems more like an eczematous lesion and applying a steroid cream would help.

If it’s itchy, taking an orally antihistamine tablet or syrup like cetrizine would relieve the itch. As these are prescription medicines, a doctor's follow up is always recommended.

Hope that answers your query.

Take care

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Psoriasis

doctor1 MD

Hello, I have psoriasis on my feet and hands for the past 15 plus years, over the past few months I have noticed I have two dark circles on the tops of my feet, both dry one is now starting to get larger. I'm 45 and stress is a big part of my world today as I'm a REALTOR.

doctor1 MD

does vyvanse or acutane have a connection to psoriasis. I have this theory that acutane caused my psoriasis and vyvanse keeps it under control but when i stop that anxiety is worse and could cause the stress level to go up. Also, I drink alcohol and love spicy foods

doctor1 MD

I have been developing pitikia with just the slightest bump. Some are very deep red. Most last at least 4-6 weeks. This only began about 3-4 months ago. Last evening, the skin on my forearms was burning. I take Enbrel every week for psoriasis, which works well. Could this be a possible side effect?

doctor1 MD

i am a 23 old male 170 lbs, i have psoriasis near the bottom of my balls, and has actually come up on the head of my penis area, but i have noticed that the tip of my piece at the pee hole opening both sides have white bumps and they some times stick together. i have picked at them a little and they start to bleed right away... could it be of an std that i have not picked up on?
i have to pull both sides apart before peeing and i also have had more urges to pee even if i just finished peeing

doctor1 MD

Hi there I’m a 42 yo healthy male with mild psoriasis and psuedogout. Recent routine blood tests were normal. Three weeks ago whilst I had a mild sore throat and cold, I discovered a raised lymph node on my right side of neck 2 inches down from...

doctor1 MD

Hi.My doctor has advised to take Folitrax 2.5 mg for Psoriasis treatment. She is 72 year old. Is it advised to have this medicine. Please advise.

doctor1 MD

I developed a rush on my penis Can you recommend a cream that would be affective for that?