Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Drinking and smoking from years. Had liver pain and bruising. Suggestions

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1462 Questions
I have been drinking on and off for years. At times i can not drink for a couple of months ...................then I ..go from a couple of bottles a week............(occasionally rising to......3-5). When really bad..............maybe 3 t0 4 times a year......I go for block out...... on spirits for a week or 2........ Went a bit out of control recently............could drink whole bottle (spirit) over 6hr period.....feel slightly merry and no hang over next day.Did this twice Realized my tolerance had become too high........!!!! Am not drinking now but wonder how long it will be for my liver to ok. I had pains in my liver and easy bruising when at my worst. Both my parents had drink problems....I had it in utero...and both my siblings have no control..... Ihope it's not too late for me I take milk thistle, last blood test said my red blood platelets were too...big/plentiful? Know I must get tested again....but am my sister has just been diagnosed with lung cancer....mind you she had emphasimia for years and kept drinking and smoking. How long is long enough for it to make a good difference on my next test results. sorry to be so long winded.....both my parents died early much younger than me, mother drnk/drugs 38yrs, father heart drink/smoke 52yrs. i am 59. Can give me some advice ...PLEASE
Posted Thu, 5 Dec 2013 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later
Brief Answer: It is good that you have stopped now Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for your query. Drinking has lot of health hazards and I am glad that you stopped now. The red cell enlargement will take months to disappear but it is not a serious issue. it is not related to cancer. It is important to know how much your liver has been damaged. that is a more serious issue. Some of the liver damage, if chronic, may be irreversible. Other cancer risks like esophagus, stomach, breast, will gradually come down with time. Lung cancer is related to smoking and not drinking, so that is out. I would advice to stop worrying too much and get on with normal life as far as possible. It is never too late and I believe that you will soon get into a normal life. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer further followup queries, if any.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Drinking and smoking from years. Had liver pain and bruising. Suggestions 10 hours later
Did you get this....."Thanks,3 more questions; . How long is "will take months"...3mths......9mths? .What effect does enlarged red blood cells have on the body? .Should I give up drinking completely or is the occasional glass of wine ok? Thanks for your consideration." It hasn't told me it's submitted Or am I just going round in circles?
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please refer below Detailed Answer: Thanks for followup. My answers... 1. A reasonable estimate is around six months but the range is quite wide, 3-12 months. 2. Enlarged red cells have no effect unless the hemoglobin is also low as a result of it. then one may have fatigue, low appetite, etc. 2. It is better to stop completely Hope this helps. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Drinking and smoking from years. Had liver pain and bruising. Suggestions 7 hours later
Thank you so much. Do I have another question I can ask? How will I know if my liver is damaged........... Don't tell me (joke!)....... Go to my GP and get my liver function test! Thats what I'm frightened of .... But I know if I don't I'm hiding my head in the sand. Thanks for being there
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 13 hours later
Brief Answer: You need to get liver function test! Detailed Answer: I am afraid that to ascertain liver damage you need to get liver function tests and ultrasound of liver at the bare minimum. There is NO other way to do this!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Addiction Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor