Dr-- 1. I have heart disease in my family &
1. I have heart disease in my family & my LDL is 119 & HDL is 38; my BP is normal & my A1C is 5.7
2. Most of my other blood work is normal
3. I am considering undergoing a CT Coronary Calcium Scan - but I am concerned about the radiation risks of that procedure.
4. do you have any advice? Do you think its worth the [radiation exposure] risk & undergo the test? or should I refrain? Thank you.
I would explain as follows:
Welcome back on -Ask a Doctor- service!
I passed carefully through your medical history and would explain that your blood lipid profile doesn't seem so concerning.
Your HDL cholesterol is slightly borderline and LDL level is not bad.
Your HbA1C level is borderline too, and indicates an increased risk of getting into a diabetic condition.
You have a family history of CAD, but you have not specified whether your father's disease onset is premature (under the age of 50).
From the other hand, you have not declared a history of hypertension or any smoking habit.
Considering the above information, you may be considered at low up to a moderate risk for future (10 years) cardiovascular events.
Considering the SCORE chart definitions, you are advised to modify your lifestyle like your diet, follow a physically active daily profile, control your body weight, avoid any close smoking contact and frequently check your blood pressure values.
Only in case your LDL cholesterol level is not lowered to around 100 mg/dl, but instead tends to increase after a period of around three to four months of lifestyle modification, it may be necessary switching to drugs therapy (statins).
Actually, it is not recommended to perform additional tests including a coronary angio CT, as it would not change the management strategy.
Hope you will find this answer helpful!
In case of any further questions, feel free to ask me again.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What do the following stress tests, echo and holter monitor test result...
- Suggest alternative treatment for congestive heart failure
- Suggest treatment for hypertension and GERD
- Suggest treatment for high BP and tingling in arms
- What causes sharp pain in chest area relieved by burping?
- Suggest treatment for afib, severe sleep apnea and high heart rate?
- What causes shortness of breath with normal chest X-ray?
- What causes severe pain in my calf muscle in Tietze syndrome?
- What causes altered sense of smell when diagnosed with sinus tachycardia?
- Does page syndrome increase the risk of heart attack?